Skip to main content
9: Ore Deposits and Economic Minerals
- Last updated
Save as PDF
- We mine many minerals from Earth.
- Some ores are valued for their mineral properties, some for the elements they contain, and others because they contain valuable gems.
- The best ore deposits are those containing large amounts of ore minerals.
- The best metal ore minerals are those that contain large amounts of metals of value.
- Most metallic ore minerals are native elements, sulfides, sulfosalts, oxides, or hydroxides.
- Ore deposits are highly variable in nature and origin.
- The most important kinds of ore deposits are magmatic, hydrothermal, and sedimentary.
- 9.1: Mineral Commodities
- 9.1.1: Mineral Resources
- 9.1.2: The History of Mining
- 9.1.3: Mineral Deposits, Ore Deposits, and Mining
- 9.1.4: Natural Abundances of Elements
- 9.1.5: Worldwide Distribution
- 9.2: Ore Minerals
- 9.2.1: Native Elements: Metals, Semimetals, and Nonmetals
- 9.2.2: Sulfides and Sulfosalts
- 9.2.3: Oxides and Hydroxides
- 9.2.4: Gems and Gem Minerals
- 9.3: Types of Ore Deposits
- 9.3.1: Magmatic Ore Deposits
- 9.3.2: Hydrothermal Ore Deposits
- 9.3.3: Sedimentary Ore Deposits