- To learn about the variety of soil colloids that exist
- To understand the fundamentals of soil charge, including isomorphic substitution and cation exchange capacity
- To become familiar with how pH and electrical conductivity affect soil functions and processes and how to measure these parameters
- To better understand the concepts and processes behind soil redox reactions
GOAL: To understand key aspects of chemical nature, properties, and reactions in the soil-environment.
- 7.1: Introduction
- Soil chemistry is primarily concerned with the chemical reactions associated with the many phases incorporated within the soil mixture. Soil chemistry is an ever-expanding field that traditionally focused on chemical reactions that affected plant growth and nutrition, and has since expanded to include water and soil contaminants and their effects on plants, animals, and humans.