Video: Typical Stages of Pipeline Construction (3:25)
After a pipeline operator obtains the required permits and satisfies the regulatory requirements, construction of the pipeline may begin. Surveying of the intended route is completed, both aerial and land based, to ensure that no surprises arise during actual assembly of the pipeline.
Pipeline Construction Process
- Planning route, surveying
- Acquiring the right of way (ROW)
- ROW is cleared
- Topsoil removed, trench dug
- "Stringing Pipe"
- Pipe is welded and contoured
- Pipe is lowered into trench
- Pipe is placed underground and site is restored