2.2: The Soil Profile
- Page ID
1. What is regolith and what are its two possible origins?
2. What is a residual soil and how does it form?
3. What are the three zones of a weathering profile and in which zone(s) do you find the soil profile?
4. Rank the following in order from shallowest (1) to deepest (4):
Weathering profile: _____________
Soil profile: _____________
5. Define the following:
Soil profile –
Soil map unit –
6. Write the symbol that applies to the master, transitional, or subordinate horizon below:
a. zone of maximum leaching/eluviation _________
b. subsoil zone with accumulation of silicate clays _________
c. surface layer disturbed by plowing _________
d. unconsolidated material underlying the solum _________
e. subsoil layer that is weakly developed _________
f. bedrock _________
g. surface layer of highly decomposed organic matter
h. intermixed zone of eluviation and illuviation, with illuviation dominating
7. What is a lithologic discontinuity and how is it denoted within a soil profile?
8. What is a paleosol and how is it denoted within a soil profile?