By the end of this chapter you should be able to
- List the ways in which Geographers use maps
- Demonstrate how longitude relates to time on earth
- Describe how scale and map projection can be used to distort ideas
- Relate electromagnetic radiation to remote sensing
- Define a Geographic Information System
- 2.1: Cartography
- Cartography is the science of map making. Maps are representations of the world, usually two-dimensional, graphic relationships that use lines, symbols and colors to convey information or ideas about spatial relationships.
Thumbnail: Diagram of the Earth. (CC-SA-BY 3.0; Kelvinsong).