This chapter has several goals and objectives:
- Describe the causes of tectonic stress and how they influence earthquakes and volcanoes.
- Understand where earthquakes and volcanoes are located around the world and why.
- Explain geologic structures that lead to folding and faulting of the physical landscape.
- Determine how the composition of magma determines the explosiveness of the volcanic eruption.
- Describe the various types of fault lines and volcanoes and the landforms they form.
- Could humans live in places along the Wasatch Front without the Wasatch fault and the earthquakes it causes?
- How does plate tectonics explain where and why earthquakes and volcanoes occur where they do?
- What role do earthquakes and volcanoes have on civilization? What benefits do they bring us?
- How could understanding Earth’s tectonic forces help save lives?
- What beneficial roles do tectonic forces have ecologically and for humanity?
CC licensed content, Shared previously
- Dynamic Earth: Introduction to Physical Geography. Authored by: R. Adam Dastrup. Located at: http://www.opengeography.org/physical-geography.html. Project: Open Geography Education. License: CC BY-SA: Attribution-ShareAlike