2.11: Soil Organisms
- Page ID
1. There are five different size classes of soil organisms, list each class and provide each example of an organism within that size class.
2. What are the most common/abundant types of organisms found within soil?
3. Explain how functional and species diversity differ and why that is important to soil.
4. What is meant by the term ecosystem engineer? Provide at least four examples of ecosystem engineers.
5. What are four controls on the amount and diversity of soil organisms?
6. What are the three types of earthworms and where in the soil will you find each type?
7. How do ants influence soils?
8. Explain the role of mycorrhizae within soils.
9. What are actinomycetes? What are their roles in soils?
10. List four benefits of soil organisms.