Resources on the web:
Various Web site with links to resources about tsunamis aimed at teachers and students:
Links to other Web sites
- FEMA - Tsunami
- NOAA - Pacific Tsunami Warning Center
- Australian Spaceguard Survey: Tsunami from Asteroid/Comet Impacts
- Savage Earth Animation: Tsunami Attack
- NOAA animation of the DART system
- NOAA animation of the DART II system
Be sure to check this out:
A short video about the 1964 Good Friday earthquake in Alaska and the tsunami it generated. This video was produced by students in my 2011 PSU freshman seminar on historic great earthquakes.
Other papers and articles of interest
- Lay, T., Kanamori, H., Ammon, C. J., Nettles, M., Ward, S. N., Aster, R. C., et al. (2005). The great Sumatra-Andaman earthquake of 26 December 2004. Science, 308(5725), 1127-1133.
- Berardelli, P. (2009). Catching a Giant Wave. ScienceNOW (727:2).
- BBC News: Science and Technology (2004) Expert slams wave threat inertia.
Atwater et al., 2005, The Orphan Tsunami of 1700—Japanese Clues to a Parent Earthquake in North America, USGS Professional Paper 1707
Tell us about it!
Have another Web site on this topic that you have found useful? Share it in our Questions discussion forum in Canvas!