- At the completion of this module you will be able to:
- Explain the variations in the composition and characteristics of Earth’s different layers
- Compare the characteristics, behavior, and velocities of the two types of seismic body waves, and how they can be used to interpret Earth’s interior.
- Describe temperature variations within the interior and how this relates to mantle convection.
- Explain the origins of Earth’s magnetic field.
- Describe the isostatic relationship between the crust and the mantle, and the implications of that relationship for geological processes on Earth.